Raul Sanchez de la Sierra, Peter van der Windt and I implemented a large field experiment in East Congo to assess the effects of international development on local governance. Overall we found almost no evidence that the intervention -- which is fairly typical of much post conflict development aid -- had any impact on social relations or local governance structures. We have been investigating to find out why.
- Most recent paper 2018: Exporting Democratic Practices: Evidence from a Village Governance Intervention in Eastern Congo (with R Sanchez de la Sierra and P van der Windt)
- Gender Quotas in Development Programming (2018)
- Policy Report (June 2012)
- See discussion at The Financial Times, the World Bank, and DFID, and video of presentation given at the University of Toronto.
- The analysis for this research was specified in advance using “mock report” approach. See the mock report and instruments and a forthcoming paper on design registration.
- Replication Data